Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Once you get past the heat here in Cambodia, well...you still feel really hot. 

  Training continues for me and the rest of K6 CHE here in Tramkak, Takeo.  We have been busy working with some local high school students on our first community project, as well as preparing for our LPI - the language proficiency exam that must be passed in order to continue working in Cambodia as a PCV.  The community project is more interesting though. 
   For the last few weeks K6 CHE has been learning about utilizing different tools to educate communities on basic health issues such as I mentioned before: washing hands after using the bathroom, using a toilet if possible, covering food after it is prepared before it is eaten and things of that nature.  Last week and this week we were able to firsthand talk to some of the members of the community in direct line of any changes we might be able to make: the teenagers.  Groups of us met with members of an English class (thank goodness they spoke English and can translate- my Khmer is pathetic at best).  We were able to complete certain avenues of getting to know our community such as mapping the village and finding out where a majority of people congregated.  In addition we discovered their daily activities and when would be the best time for education or outreach.  Most importantly, we asked the students what they though was the biggest problem in Angtasorm (the village I live in) that they would like to see resolved.  The students were incredible.  They took to this project as if their grades depended upon it (they don't get grades in this class) and helped us out so much.  At the end of numerous sessions, we were informed that one of the biggest issues they wanted help with was the trash.
  I do not think I have explained the garbage situation yet in Cambodia so for a moment I will take a tangent.  There is no waste disposal situation in Cambodia.  This, combined with the fact that cheap plastic has recently been discovered by the Khmer, leads to an enormous trash problem everywhere.  The students we are working with knowing this too; that the problem is one for their generation.  Their parents did not have to deal with all of the plastic on the ground. There are no public trash cans just as there are no public toilets.  The world is their trash can and it is very obvious upon first sight of the country.  What is even worse than the trash is that to get rid of it, each household burns their own trash.  If you have put two and two together yet, you have noted that Cambodians (population of Cambodia is  approx 14 million) burn a lot of plastic.  This is bad. The air is gross and the ground is littered...in litter. (Stay tuned for my marathon announcement).  It literally hurts my heart not to be able to recycle especially in a place that so desperately needs it (and if my rice rant has told you anything about the nutrition here in Cambodia, you'll recognize that my poor heart can't take much more stress...or sugar).  As I try to locate a silver lining, I am doing my best not to purchase anything that involves lots of plastic, and keeping track of my own trash disposal including the amount of garbage I personally am capable of.  The results are, quite frankly, astonishing.  
 Back to the students: 
  They are dears, and probably some of the brightest and most educated students in rural-ish Cambodia.  And they have asked us to help them with the trash problem. A few ideas populate our activity such as making posters for health centers, surveying the population on their knowledge of the relationship between trash and health, and just plain cleaning up.  For the moment we are leading trash clean-ups but will have to plan for long term or sustainable disposal soon.  This is more difficult than you might think.  For example, a suggestion was made that we might get public garbage cans for the market so that trash would not be littered all over the earth.  However since there is no waste disposal, the trash cans would fill up and then continue to overflow until someone set fire to the trash, and then where would we be?! Right back to square one.  Setting up a recycling or garbage system for the whole country is a little beyond scope of Peace Corps resources and management but, for the record, I'm taking suggestions.

  Contrary to my constant blogging, we don't have the luxury of a lot of free time, but I have heard that will come later.  In an attempt to stay true to my American lifestyle (and thanks to supermom for sending my running shoes) I have begun to train for the half marathon at Angkor Wat in December.  Soon after arriving, and feeling desperate for some physical activity, I heard about the half marathon from a couple of PCVs who have taken part in it in years past.  A lot of PCVs take part and we all have a little Peace Corps get together up north.  Apparently it's pretty sweet and the run actually goes through the temples.  Running 13.1 miles through ancient history in one of the colder months of Cambodia's year? Sign me up (read: athletic ancient history nerd coming through)!  I'm just beginning my "training" now and the Khmer are nothing if not confused about my jogging through the village.  They have no concept of exercise - guess what I'll be introducing?! The adaptation might not be pretty but I will be sure to keep you updated on my progress.  Thus far I can report with firm knowledge that jogging in Cambodian heat is a heck of a teacher on sweating.  To hell with Dengue and Malaria- the only thing I'm worried about is dehydration!  Well...that and diabetes from the insane amount of sugar and msg in Khmer cuisine.  As of right now my goal is to finish the race - be it on my feet or on my knees. More information can be found through the link posted below and yes, I am currently accepting applications for super fans. Face paint and hand decorated clothing is a must, boring people need not apply.   

Angkor Wat International Half Marathon

 In related news my sister Diana, avid runner that she is and at least 100% more runner-ambitious than I, has decided to run her fourth Chicago marathon in honor of Carter William Gloff, son of dear family friends of ours who was taken too soon last year.  To all fellow Niners who recognize the impact Mr. Gloff had not only on our school, but on our lives, I ask you to take a moment and be thankful for what you are given each and every day.  Please visit Diana's webpage (posted below), and support her run and Carter's memory if you can.  Regardless of monetary support, please spread the word.  Sincerest thanks for any and all help.

Diana's Marathon Run in honor of Carter William Gloff

 I anxiously await my runner's high...as I sweat a lake on National Hwy 3.
xo - Amanda


 
above: students work with us to map their village and plan a clean-up

No comments:

Post a Comment