Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Staying "Polite"


  One of the biggest differences between American culture and Khmer culture are manners.  It’s hard to be polite in a society where you are unsure of the exact definition of “polite.”  Khmer culture differs greatly from American culture in that Americans are fairly straightforward and will generally tell you when you are making a faux pas.  Khmer people will not tell you if you are doing something bad or rude, and you may never ever find out that you have offended someone.  Rather, if they want you to know that they thought badly of one of your actions or that you behaved inappropriately, they will tell a friend to tell one of your friends to tell you. This is not a joke.
  
  I am constantly in fear of offending someone.  At least, I was when I got here.  But I have learned to take things as they come and just try my best.  Adjusted expectations are a crucial part of the Peace Corps. 

  For example: in America, it’s extremely rude to tell someone that they are fat. It is generally a compliment to tell someone that they are skinny – what this says about our views of ourselves and definition of “beauty” …but anyway I digress.  In America it’s rude.  In Cambodia, it’s just another description.  When I went back to my training host family for training #2, my host mom told me that I had gotten fat.  “Tow-aht” (fat) she said to me repeatedly.  I looked down at myself, fairly certain that absolutely nothing about me had changed in the two months I had been at my permanent site.  Then I looked back up at her and shrugged.  She asked me what I had been eating and if I had been eating a lot of rice.  I told her not too much rice but I drink a lot of water and she caught her husband’s attention.  “See?” she said to Sao Sareth, “she eats no rice and she gets fat. She eats water and she gets fat.” I smacked my head against my palm because a common belief here that eating a lot of rice will make you skinny and drinking a lot of water will make you fat.  It’s a myth that CHE volunteers are attempting to dismantle due to the incredible untruth of it. Anyway, the point is that she thought nothing of calling me “fat” to my face.  On the other hand, when I returned from that training to my permanent site in Kampong Saom, my host mom told me that I had gotten skinny. “Skorm, skorm,” (skinny) she said to me over and over, gesturing to her face and neck.  I checked the only mirror we have in the house and once again, I was still looking at the same face that I had when I arrived in Cambodia a few months before. 

  And then there is cooking.  I love cooks.  I love them because they make delicious food that I get to eat and not have to worry about cooking.  I personally do not like to cook, which from what I understand about most other people is not a very common attribute among the human population.  It’s not that I don’t know how to cook (although a ready argument could be made for that statement), I can cook, I do not enjoy it.  I take no pleasure in preparing food. I would rather eat raw food then go through the trouble and pain of cooking it. So it goes. From what I have found, this is also not an attribute that transcends culture. 

  During the holidays I headed to a fellow PCVs house (Erik, you’ll meet him later) where he was cooking New Christmakwanzikahgiving for myself and two other PCVs.  He told his family that I was coming and they asked if I would be helping to cook the meal.  His answer was something like, “I’m not sure she knows how to cook…” and that swayed them not in the least.  “She’s a woman, she knows how to cook,” they reassured him.

  Traditionally, in Khmer culture, the women cook the food and the men eat the food…you can imagine what this type of thinking does to my digestive system.


  When I first got to Cambodia and moved in with my training host family, I thought that by working with them, it would aid in my language skills and assimilation.  So I always asked if they “jong jooey” (wanted help) in the kitchen.  I viewed this as “polite” because in my world, sometimes you do things you don’t want to do to be polite. 

But…
  It’s kind of like at Thanksgiving when Grandma’s in the kitchen doing something funky with the turkey’s gizzards and you ask if she wants help because she has rickety bones and your parents raised you with manners.  What you really mean by “help” is icing the cake, or better yet, taste testing the pumpkin pie that Aunt Joanie has made from scratch just to make sure that the whole family doesn’t get food poisoning from bad cream the way everyone did that one year you were too busy mashing the potatoes to sneak a taste from the pies and your cousin Jake, who said he would test the pies and bring you a spoonful, ended up eating the ice cream instead, the numbskull. Grandma, however, thinks that by “help” you mean standing at the stove for 30 minutes straight stirring the curiously green gravy which makes you mildly suspicious because it’s Grandma’s “secret recipe” and the truth of the matter is that Grandma lived through the Great Depression and she’ll eat anything that’s put on her plate. Meanwhile everyone else watches football and helps themselves to fruit and veggies and their respective dips before the grand finale of turkey, green beans and deliciousness minus the interesting looking “gravy” that you’ve been trying to avoid smelling for the past 30 minutes.
  My parents raised me right. Did I stop asking if the women wanted help in the kitchen? No way! I have manners! 

  The first time they had me help, Bo sat me down on the floor with a mortar and pestle grinding up some chili peppers and herbs to put in the som-law(a kind of soup).  I won’t lie to you, I enjoyed it!  I had this great story in my head, thinking that I was like the pioneers, contributing to cooking the food from scratch, not relying on a microwave or frozen food (which is essentially what I lived on once I was responsible for my own food).  Hey, I was a child once, I played Oregon Trail back in the good old days – my family always died of cholera or drowned in the river…but that’s a story for a different day.  There is something strangely satisfying about grinding up your own herbs. The first time.  The second time I was put to work on the mortar and pestle I started looking around the room wondering if maybe chopping up the chicken wasn’t as bad as I thought, or perhaps releasing leaves from a branch had its uses.  The third time I praised the gods of microwavable food and refrigeration, trying my hardest not to conjure the sights and smells of my mom’s leftover stew or my dad’s salmon.  There HAD to be a better way to cook the food, a more efficient way of getting these herbs ground, an easier food to cook!  And well, there is. In America. Effectively on the other side of the planet.  So herb grinding it is.  Bo is no dummy though.  She started to notice that I ceased to eat any food which I had a hand in helping prepare and so I was banished from the kitchen.  It was for the best, really.


  The night before I left Angtasorm for the second time (after the second bout of training) my host brother Mao asked me if I was going to come back to Cambodia and visit them once I returned home in about 2 years.  I told him I didn’t know and he asked if they would be invited to my wedding in America.  I told him of course they would be invited and he said that we could Skype the whole thing.  Then he explained that before that happened he had to do 5 things: get a computer, get internet, download Skype, learn how to use Skype, and add me as a friend.   Mao has high hopes but I told him I believed in him. He started talking about the lengths of time and eventually decided that I could have 5 years back in America before I returned.  I thanked him for his generosity.  Then he said to me, “maybe you come back with husband.  Maybe you come back with two or three baby.”  Maybe, Mao…maybe not.  I laughed because I have explained to many Khmer people many times that I awt jong baan (don’t want) a husband or children.  (They smile knowingly, like they’re in on a secret that I haven’t been included in.  I can often see and hear the wheels turning in their heads and am terrified that one day I will show up at a classroom ready to teach nutrition and instead a wedding tent will be set up and beauticians ready to do Khmer bride makeup on my face).  Mao told me that while I was gone he would build a hotel for me to stay at.  It would be a “million star hotel.”  A “million star hotel?” I asked him.  He said yes, because if I wanted to see the stars, I could go on the roof and can look at a million stars. 

And I thought that was a great idea. 

Stay tuned for the Great Pancake Debacle
Xo-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment