Saturday, December 29, 2012

Happy Holidays


HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! I had quite the different experience over here in Cambodia trying to celebrate our American holidays in the land of Buddha, but did the very best I could to have a Merry Christmas.

Cambodians do not celebrate Christmas but that didn’t stop us PCVs from throwing celebrations of our own.  For Christmas day, two other PCVs, Miriam and Amy, came to my house to meet my family and we cooked them some American food for Christmas dinner.  Well, actually, Amy and Miriam cooked and I watched and tested the food.  It was delicious J.   They made chicken cutlets, mashed potatoes, and green beans with carmelized onions.  YUM!  After dinner, we set out a little Christmas tree that was sent by my mother from America (cut out of construction paper) and some gifts for the boys and my mom that Miriam and I wrapped in some magazine paper.  IT WAS AWESOME!!! The boys first Christmas and they had a ball.  I’ve included some photos below. 





At the moment I am getting ready to celebrate New Year’s Day on an island off of Sihanoukville with a bunch of other PCVs.  Khmer New Year is in April so they do not celebrate very big for the International New Year which is January 1.  It’s an interesting concept that for my family and the rest of this country, the calendar starts again, but the holiday of New Year isn’t for another 4 months.  Ahh, cross culture. 

I’ve been having some great travels lately so stay tuned for more stories and have a wonderful bunch of holidays!!
Xo-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment