Thursday, July 12, 2012

"Begin Anywhere" -John Cage

"Anywhere" is my hotel room in Washington D.C. where staging was today. So this is where it all begins-the life changing volunteer job that is more myth than actual fact due to all of the details taking place across the world and the story seen through someone else's eyes.
  Though draining, today was a lot of fun. I woke up with a lot of questions in my head and even more butterflies in my stomach flying around the knots already lodged there. It hadn't hit me until this morning and then BAM, like a lightning bolt it was there: I'm going to Cambodia with the Peace Corps. Saying goodbye is never my favorite part of traveling but I know that the sooner I get gone, the sooner I can come back. It's amazing having so many great people to say goodbye to at least.
  Staging here was jam-packed full of information. I was able to meet everyone in my group (Kampuchea 6) - there are 58 of us, and get a lot of information about what we're going, how to cope emotionally and mentally, and travel details. Everyone here is in one of two programs: English Teaching and Teacher Training (ETTT), or Cambodia Health Education (CHE). I was relieved to find that everyone also pretty much feels the way that I feel about this Cambodian adventure: a wee bit queasy about the unknown but excited and ready to learn all the same, and especially happy in my discovery that our optimism and each other will help to get us through the tough times. Experience and someone going through what you're going through will be a good teacher. Isn't it great to know that the lows in life only contribute to the best of the best feeling in the highs?
  I fly out to Tokyo and then on to Bangkok tomorrow where I will be for one night before reaching my destination of Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Words do not do my feelings justice at this moment and it will take a great will of imagination to contemplate the next two years. How I love the shoes that I am wearing right now-I would not pick anyone else's shoes for all of the world. It's probably a great sign that I'm flying out of the country and beginning this new journey on Friday the 13th...right?! ;P
  This is the time when I am missing everyone back home (in all of my "homes") like mad. Thanks to everyone for the love and support in the days since I've received my invitation. I'll try to blog only the best and most interesting information without exaggeration and as often (but not too much) as I am able to get to internet. This truly has been a whirlwind of a preparation as well as both mentally and emotionally challenging and stimulating. I have a feeling though, that the best is yet to come.

 Wish me luck!
 xo-Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Sooo lucky to be one of the last people you talked to before you left the country. Thank you.

    Sounds like you're traveling with a small army, and it relieves me to know that your supporting cast is big and strong. Please keep the entries coming.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete